The RIAA announced today that the Beatles infamous White Album has been certified 24x Multi-Platinum™ moving it into fourth spot on its all-time sales list past Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Volume I & Volume II, no slouch itself at 23 million copies sold.
The White Album is also the top multi-disc set of all time and is actually the Beatles best-selling album by a fairly good measure, with their second highest tally being attained by their The Beatles 1967-70 album holding down 18th spot with 17 million copies sold. Of course the Beatles had already achieved one of the most amazing feats by being the highest certified band in RIAA history with 178 million certifications in all from their various releases.
The RIAA's top 10 best selling albums of all time now looks like this:
1. Eagles, Eagles/Their Greatest Hits 1971 - 1975, 38 million
2. Michael Jackson, Thriller, 33 million
3. Eagles, Hotel California, 26 million
4. The Beatles, The Beatles (aka White Album), 24 million
5. Billy Joel, Greatest Hits Volume I & Volume II, 23 million
6. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV, 23 million
7. Pink Floyd, The Wall, 23 million
8. AC/DC, Back In Black, 22 million
9. Garth Brooks Double Live, 21 million
10. Hootie & The Blowfish, Cracked Rear View, 21 million
In lesser reported news, it's amazing to see that Hootie & The Blowfish's Cracked Rear View nipped Fleetwood Mac's venerable Rumours out of the top 10 by a million copies...
Check out our large and varied collection of RIAA Gold, Platinum and Multi-Platinum RIAA awards.