RIAA Gold LP award for John Lennon's Walls & Bridges album presented to John Ono Lennon. The album was released on September 26, 1974 and was certified Gold by the RIAA on October 22, 1974 for 500,000 copies sold.
The album featured the hits "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" (Lennon's first #1 Billboard Hot 100 chart hit in the U.S. as a solo artist) and "#9 Dream". It also has some guest appearances by Elton John, Harry Nilsson, and a very young Julian Lennon. The album went to #1 in the U.S., Canada, to #6 in the UK and did well in many other countries. See image above for RIAA sales certification of this album*.
Mouse Over to Zoom/Click to Enlarge Photos
- RIAA Gold LP white matte award
- In VG condition
- First presentation award from 1974
- Presented to John Ono Lennon
- All original with manufacturer sticker
- "White matte" awards (obviously so-named due to the white matte used) were made from from 1964-1974
- RIAA white matte awards numbered only 5-25 plaques worldwide for any given single/album
- Award measures approx. 17" x 21"
- Beautiful and rare collector's item for any John Lennon or Beatles fan
- MusicGoldmine Premium Item: FREE, insured worldwide shipping and more benefits included (click for details). NOTE: To have the item shipped outside the USA please email email@example.com with your address and we will send you a custom invoice showing free shipping.
Detailed Item Description: This first presentation RIAA Gold award is from 1974, making it approx. 49 years old. The award's most spectacular feature is undoubtedly that it is presented to John Ono Lennon himself.
The award it is in VG condition. There are a few mars on the wood frame as is expected, a couple of minor spots on the matte, and a couple of very small tears on the backing paper. It has its' original New York Frame & Picture Co. manufacturer's sticker.
Don't miss this rare opportunity to get a highly coveted early John Lennon RIAA white matte award presented to John Lennon.
Interested in knowing more about RIAA awards and what makes them great to add to your collection? Subscribe to our free bi-weekly newsletter and get our 55-page MusicGoldmine RIAA and Record Award Guide free plus a 15% discount code here.
Notes on the condition of all vintage RIAA awards like this one: Please do not buy this item if you want a brand new piece of memorabilia. These are historical artifacts from the year they were produced. As a result they may show signs of wear. Frankly, if you see a 20 to 50-year-old award purported to be in 100% perfect condition, it might be too good to be true. After all, an antique should have "good' wear. If not, you might want to question the piece.
As to where they came from, they could have been displayed in record label offices, recording studios, artist manager's offices, radio stations, private collector's homes and yes, of course, possibly the artist's or songwriter's home. Typically, we don't know all the places they may have been over the years other than what we've stated in the description.
Finally, a word on photos: Our photos are zoomable so you can get a very good look. Do let us know if you want photos of any other details on our pieces and we'll be happy to provide.
*RIAA sales data source: RIAA.com