RIAA Platinum LP award for the Firefall's Elan album. This was the group's third studio album, released in 1978. The album was certified Platinum by the RIAA on Jan. 10, 1979 for one million copies sold.
The album produced the hit "Strange Way" which rose to #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. See image above for the RIAA sales certifications of this album through the years*.
Mouse Over to Zoom/Click to Enlarge Photos
- RIAA Platinum LP award with all proper components for the era: Platinum frame, platinum disc and platinum info plate
- In Good to VG condition with a few minor scratches on frame, some separation of the label on the record and slight fading of the matte
- First presentation award from 1979
- Presented to record label executive
- Original backing paper although it has been taped and manufacturer's label has fallen off (label adhesive residue present)
- Known as a "floater" award because the components appear to "float" above the matte, they were made from 1975-1981
- RIAA floater awards numbered only 25-50 plaques worldwide for any given single/album
- Award measures 17.5" x 21.5"
- Beautiful collectors item
- FREE insured shipping to continental U.S.
- International shipping available
Detailed Item Description: This is a first presentation RIAA Platinum award that would have been manufactured in 1979, since this "floater" style award was produced from 1975-81. That makes this award 40 years old. The award is presented to Steve Jones, a record executive who worked with Atlantic Records and other labels.
The award is in Good to VG condition, especially considering its age. The frame has some typical scratches and mars. The disc label has some separation from the record and there is slight fading of the matte. The backing paper, while original, has been retaped. There is adhesive residue consistent in size and location with a New York Frame & Picture Co. sticker having been located there but the sticker is not present.
Interested in knowing more about RIAA awards and what makes them great to add to your collection? Subscribe to our free bi-weekly newsletter and get our 55-page MusicGoldmine RIAA and Record Award Guide free plus a 15% discount code here.
Notes on the condition of all vintage RIAA awards like this one: Please do not buy this item if you want a brand new piece of memorabilia. These are historical artifacts from the year they were produced. As a result they may show signs of wear. Frankly, if you see a 20 to 50-year-old award purported to be in 100% perfect condition, it might be too good to be true. After all, an antique should have "good' wear. If not, you might want to question the piece.
As to where they came from, they could have been displayed in record label offices, recording studios, artist manager's offices, radio stations, private collector's homes and yes, of course, possibly the artist's or songwriter's home. Typically, we don't know all the places they may have been over the years other than what we've stated in the description.
Finally, a word on photos: Our photos are zoomable so you can get a very good look. Do let us know if you want photos of any other details on our pieces and we'll be happy to provide.
*RIAA sales data source: RIAA.com