RIAA Platinum LP award for Van Halen album Van Halen II, which was released in the U.S. on March 23, 1979. The album was certified Platinum by the RIAA on May 8, 1979 for 1 million copies sold.
The album, the group's second, produced popular VH hits "Dance The Night Away" and "Beautiful Girls". It peaked at #6 on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart and by 2004 had gone to 5x Multi-Platinum™. See image above for more RIAA sales certifications of this album through the years*.
Mouse Over to Zoom/Click to Enlarge Photos
- RIAA Platinum LP award with all proper components for the era: Platinum frame, platinum disc and platinum info plate
- In VG to Excellent condition with only a few very minor scratches on frame and plexiglas and slight fading of the matte,
- First presentation award from 1979
- Presented to Warner Bros. Records executive
- Original back with manufacturer label
- Known as a "floater" award because the components appear to "float" above the matte, they were made from 1975-1981
- RIAA floater awards numbered only 25-50 plaques worldwide for any given single/album
- Award measures 17.5" x 21.5"
- Great collectors item
- FREE insured shipping to continental U.S.
- International shipping available
Detailed Item Description: This RIAA Platinum award is presented to the Warner Bros. Records executive Steve Fingerett. This is a first presentation RIAA Platinum award that would have been manufactured in 1979. That makes this award 40 years old. The "floater" style award was only produced from 1975-81.
This award has the original backing paper and Creative Glassics manufacturer sticker present. It appears to be in VG to excellent condition with only a couple of very minor scratches on the frame and plexiglas and minor fading of the matte.
Interested in knowing more about RIAA awards and what makes them great to add to your collection? Subscribe to our free bi-weekly newsletter and get our 55-page MusicGoldmine RIAA and Record Award Guide free plus a 15% discount code here.
Notes on the condition of all vintage RIAA awards like this one: Please do not buy this item if you want a brand new piece of memorabilia. These are historical artifacts from the year they were produced. As a result they may show signs of wear. Frankly, if you see a 20 to 50-year-old award purported to be in 100% perfect condition, it might be too good to be true. After all, an antique should have "good' wear. If not, you might want to question the piece.
As to where they came from, they could have been displayed in record label offices, recording studios, artist manager's offices, radio stations, record retailers, private collector's homes and yes, of course, possibly the artist's or songwriter's home. Typically, we don't know all the places they may have been over the years other than what we've stated in the description.
Finally, a word on photos: Our photos are zoomable so you can get a very good look. Do let us know if you want photos of any other details on our pieces and we'll be happy to provide.
*RIAA sales data source: RIAA.com