RIAA Gold LP award for The Who's Quadrophenia presented to Booker T & the MGs. The Who released the double album Quadrophenia in Oct. 15, 1973 and it was certified Gold for 500,000 sold on Oct. 29, 1973. By 1993 the album was certified Platinum.
This award is presented to Booker T & the MGs to recognize the fact that their famous track "Green Onions" appeared on the film soundtrack version of the Quadrophenia album, which was released in 1979 (see more detail below).
Mouse Over to Zoom/Click to Enlarge Photos
- RIAA Gold LP award with all proper components for the 1981-85 "strip plate" era: Gold frame, gold disc and gold info plate
- In VG to Excellent condition with a few very minor scratches on frame (see photo)
- First presentation award likely from 1981-82 (see detail below)
- Unique and desirable presentation to Booker T & The MGs
- While manufacturer sticker is missing, appears to be unopened back most likely indicating an original award
- Gold disc label is record 1 of the soundtrack version of Quadrophenia
- The 1979 Quadrophenia soundtrack album miniature was used in this award, not the original 1973 album cover
- Known as a strip plate award because the presentation plate, RIAA logo and album miniature are on one metal strip, made from 1981-1985
- Award measures approx. 17.5" x 21.5"
- Beautiful and rare collectors item
- FREE insured shipping to continental U.S.
- International shipping available
Detailed Item Description:
This is a unique award for several reasons. The Who released Quadrophenia in 1973 and it was quickly certified Gold. A few years later the movie based on the album was made and the group released a new Quadrophenia soundtrack album in 1979 to accompany the film's release.
While the '73 release consisted of only Who songs, the '79 version added a few songs from 60's artists including The Kingsmen, James Brown and others. One of the tracks included was "Green Onions", Booker T & The MGs' famous early 60's hit. As a result, this award was apparently presented to them to recognize their contribution to the film soundtrack. This award came from the John Levin Collection and a certificate indicating this provenance will be included with this sale.
This is a first presentation RIAA Gold award, at least as relates to the Booker T & The MGs track, which only appeared on the 1979 version of the Quadrophenia album. It would have been manufactured sometime around 1981-82 since it is a strip plate award (which were only made from 1981-85), making it approximately 38 years old.
Finally, this award appears to be completely original with what appears to be original backing paper although the manufacturer's sticker is missing. It is in Very Good to Excellent condition, with only a very few minor scratches on the frame.
Interested in knowing more about RIAA awards and what makes them great to add to your collection? Read our article here.
Notes on the condition of all vintage RIAA awards like this one: Please do not buy this item if you want a brand new piece of memorabilia. These are historical artifacts from the year they were produced. As a result they may show signs of wear. Frankly, if you see a 20 to 50-year-old award purported to be in 100% perfect condition, it might be too good to be true. After all, an antique should have "good' wear. If not, you might want to question the piece.
As to where they came from, they could have been displayed in record label offices, recording studios, artist manager's offices, radio stations, private collector's homes and yes, of course, possibly the artist's or songwriter's home. Typically, we don't know all the places they may have been over the years other than what we've stated in the description.
Finally, a word on photos: Our photos are zoomable so you can get a very good look. Do let us know if you want photos of any other details on our pieces and we'll be happy to provide.
*RIAA sales data source: RIAA.com