RIAA Gold LP award for Paul McCartney & Wings Wings Over America, which was released on Dec. 10, 1976 and the album was certified Gold® days later by the RIAA on Dec. 13, 1976 for 500,000 copies sold.
The triple live album included Wings performances over their 1975-76 Wings Over America tour. Tracks included Wings hits such as "Venus And Mars/Rock Show/Jet", "Maybe I'm Amazed", "Listen To What The Man Said", "Let 'Em In", "Silly Love Songs", "Band On The Run" and more along with five Beatles tunes. It rose to #8 on the UK Albums Chart and #1 on the US Billboard Top LPs & Tape chart. Later in '76 the album was certified Platinum by the RIAA.
*Avoid paying auction fees/buyer's premiums by buying our RIAA awards here on our site before they go to auction. We take select RIAA awards to auctions a few times a year.
Mouse Over to Zoom/Click to Enlarge Photos
- RIAA Gold LP award with all proper components for the era: Gold colored frame, gold disc and gold presentation plate
- In VG to Excellent condition with a few minor scratches on frame
- First presentation award from 1976/early 1977
- Presented to music executive Alan Beane
- Appears to be an unopened back with original manufacturer's sticker still present
- Known as a "floater" award because the components appear to "float" above the matte, they were made from 1975-1981
- RIAA "floater" awards numbered only 25-50 plaques worldwide for any given single/album
- Award measures 17.5" x 21.5"
- Beautiful collector's item for a McCartney or Beatles fan
- FREE insured shipping to continental U.S.
- International shipping available
Detailed Item Description: This is a first presentation RIAA Gold award that would have been manufactured sometime in late 1976, early '77. That makes this award approximately 42-43 years old. It is presented to Alan Beane.
The award is in VG to excellent condition with all components appearing original (note the "Mastered By Capitol" engraving on the gold disc) and what appears to be original backing paper with New York Frame & Picture Co. sticker still present. This award has only a few very few minor scratches on the frame and a slightly faded matte.
Interested in knowing more about RIAA awards and what makes them great to add to your collection? Subscribe to our free bi-weekly newsletter and get our 55-page MusicGoldmine RIAA and Record Award Guide free plus a 15% discount code here.
Notes on the condition of all vintage RIAA awards like this one: Please do not buy this item if you want a brand new piece of memorabilia. These are historical artifacts from the year they were produced. As a result they may show signs of wear. Frankly, if you see a 20 to 50-year-old award purported to be in 100% perfect condition, it might be too good to be true. After all, an antique should have "good' wear. If not, you might want to question the piece.
As to where they came from, they could have been displayed in record label offices, recording studios, artist manager's offices, radio stations, private collector's homes and yes, of course, possibly the artist's or songwriter's home. Typically, we don't know all the places they may have been over the years other than what we've stated in the description.
Finally, a word on photos: Our photos are zoomable so you can get a very good look. Do let us know if you want photos of any other details on our pieces and we'll be happy to provide.
*RIAA sales data source: RIAA.com