RIAA Gold 45 award for Barry Manilow's single "Looks Like We Made It", which was released on April 20, 1977. The 45 rpm single was certified Gold® by the RIAA on Sept. 7, 1977 for 1 million copies sold.
The track was a single off his 1976 album This One's For You and became Manilow's third ever Gold single. It went to #1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts. See image above for the RIAA sales certification data of this single*.
Mouse Over to Zoom/Click to Enlarge Photos
- RIAA Gold 45 award with all proper components for the era: Gold frame, gold disc and gold info plate
- In Good to VG with a few very minor scratches on frame, slight fading of the matte, discoloration of the presentation plate and fading of inscription
- First presentation award from 1977-78
- Presented to a radio station executive
- Appears to have changed backing paper but internal components appear completely unaltered, making this a second state award
- Known as a "floater" award because the components appear to "float" above the matte, they were made from 1975-1981
- RIAA "floater" awards numbered only 25-50 plaques worldwide for any given single/album
- Award measures 13" x 17"
- Beautiful collectors item
- FREE insured shipping to continental U.S.
- International shipping available
Detailed Item Description: This is a first presentation RIAA Gold single award that would have been manufactured in 1977-78 making this award 40-41 years old. The award is presented to Ron Brandon, a long-time radio industry personality and programmer.
The backing paper on the award has been changed but all visible internal components appear original and unaltered.
It is in good to very good condition, with only a very few minor scratches on the frame, some fading of the matte, discoloration of the presentation plate and inscription. There is also one small tear in backing paper that has been repaired with paper tape. Note that these issues have a relatively minimal effect on the appearance of the piece but can be seen at some angles.
Interested in knowing more about RIAA awards and what makes them great to add to your collection? Subscribe to our free bi-weekly newsletter and get our 55-page MusicGoldmine RIAA and Record Award Guide free plus a 15% discount code here.
Notes on the condition of all vintage RIAA awards like this one: Please do not buy this item if you want a brand new piece of memorabilia. These are historical artifacts from the year they were produced. As a result they may show signs of wear. Frankly, if you see a 20 to 50-year-old award purported to be in 100% perfect condition, it might be too good to be true. After all, an antique should have "good' wear. If not, you might want to question the piece.
As to where they came from, they could have been displayed in record label offices, recording studios, artist manager's offices, radio stations, private collector's homes and yes, of course, possibly the artist's or songwriter's home. Typically, we don't know all the places they may have been over the years other than what we've stated in the description.
Finally, a word on photos: Our photos are zoomable so you can get a very good look. Do let us know if you want photos of any other details on our pieces and we'll be happy to provide.
*RIAA sales data source: RIAA.com